Crispy Chicken Fritters. If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe for chicken fritters, then this is a great place to find it. It doesn’t really matter what kind of critter you want, but knowing the basics of how to make a chicken fritter is the first step in making one.
To make your own chicken fritter, all you need is a fritter maker and flour. A quick search on the internet will help you find a fritter maker, but you can also buy them. Just make sure that the one you choose has the removable flaps that will allow you to bake the fritter right in the fritter maker or as soon as the fritter machine gets done.
If you want to know how to make a chicken fritter, here are the steps: Preheat your oven to medium-high. Mix your flour with a bit of salt and set aside. Using your hands, form the dry ingredients into a dough, then add the water and mix well. Shape the dough into a ball or a disk and turn it over so that the center is open and the outside is flat.
Cut the ball of dough in half, then cut the half you cut open in half again. This is called the “crust” of the fritter. Roll out the dough and press it into a round shape, then roll it out again until it is round and smooth. Now, cut the dough in half and place it onto a sheet of wax paper. Now, you can cut out circles and curves to make the chicken inside your fritter. Print
Crispy Chicken Fritters
Crispy Chicken Fritters. If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe for chicken fritters, then this is a great place to find it.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Chicken Recipe
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 12.5-oz cans white premium chunk chicken breast
- Additional bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (see notes)
- 1 egg
- Step1: Drain chicken very well. I place mine in a colander to drain for 20-30 minutes then press down on the chicken with a heavy bowl.
- Step2: Roughly chop chicken. I like the chicken to be uniform in size for consistent texture in the fritters (aim for about 1/4 inch pieces). Chopping the chicken also prevents any stray bits from poking out of the crispy coating.
- Step3: Add chicken, egg, Dijon mustard, salt, spices and 1/4 cup bread crumbs to a mixing bowl then stir with a fork until well combined.
- Step4: Pour additional bread crumbs into a shallow bowl or pie plate (about a cup or so); set aside.
- Step5: Portion chicken mixture into six fritters. Shape each fritter into a tight little hockey puck then coat with additional bread crumbs.
- Step6: Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, pan-fry chicken fritters on each side until golden brown and crispy. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
- I use 1/2 teaspoon of salt but have noticed some brands of chicken and bread crumbs are saltier than others. If you are sensitive to salt, start with a 1/4 teaspoon then add more to taste.
- Shape into smaller portions for homemade chicken “Nuggets” or wider, flatter patties for crispy chicken sandwiches.
- I used Swanson White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in this recipe and was very, VERY pleased with the taste and texture.
- I don’t know if these can be made with leftover or rotisserie chicken. I mean, I suppose it can be done, I just don’t know how the texture and consistency would be, if they would be too dry or if they would hold their shape.
- Panko can be used instead of bread crumbs but I prefer the finer crumbs with these.
- Regular mustard can be used instead of Dijon. The mustard is there for a touch of acid to make the seasoning pop and to balance the richness from frying these.
- Though I haven’t done it myself, I imagine these would be great in an air fryer. Spray both sides of the fritters with cooking spray (to make them crispy) then bake at 400 until golden brown.
- No, these can’t be made in a crock pot.
Keywords: Crispy Chicken Fritters
To give your fritter a crispy outer layer, you can add baking soda and sprinkle it over the entire fritter. If you’re using your kitchen aid stand mixer attachment, simply mix the dry ingredients together, and then pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl. Start with the dry ingredients, and once you have mixed them together, gradually add the water to the dry ingredients.
Turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides of the mixture to make sure that you get all the flour off the bottom of the dough. Then, start mixing the wet ingredients into the wet ingredients until they have combined completely.
Turn the mixture on the mixing board until the dough starts to become very smooth and glossy. Crispy Chicken Fritters. Turn the mixture back off, take it out of the mixing board, and gently press the mixture down on top of the dough until the mixture sticks together.
If the mixture sticks together, then you have successfully formed a dough. Place it back into your oven, let it cook, and continue to keep checking the dough to ensure that it is baked on the center. Once the center is cooked, you can now remove it from the oven and carefully flip it over and give it a few more minutes until it is completely cooled.