Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole. Are the best recipe for the slow cooker I have ever tasted. It s made using tender, juicy, chicken, fragrant broccoli and lightly textured rice blended in a creamy, golden sauce with crumbled Parmesan cheese all topped with fried bread crumbs. The dish is light, healthy and satisfying. Just like the food cooked in a regular crock pot. I made this delicious dish last night for our family.
I started by adding one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to my pan and set it to medium low. Then I added one tablespoon of flour to the mix and added two cups of slightly cooled dry rice.
I moved my pans to separate burners and then put in the contents of one cup of the chicken broth into the other. I gently brought the two pans together, making sure there was enough liquid in the bottom to fully cover the chicken and one cup of dry rice. I used three burners for this recipe.
I let the chicken cook for about five minutes to make sure its cooking time was complete. Then I turned the slow cooker switch on and cooked for about eight minutes. Then I checked to see if the food was fully cooked. Yes, it was! I placed the lid back on the pot and put the crock pot back on the burner. Fifteen minutes later I pulled it out of the oven and viola! Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole. re the best recipe for the slow cooker I have ever tasted.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 3 Hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Slow Cooker Recipe
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (optional, for extra creaminess)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (rinsed and drained (do NOT substitute white rice or any other type of rice))
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound broccoli (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Step1: Place onion, brown rice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper in bottom of slow cooker.
- Step2: Pour in broth and stir until well combined.
- Step3: Add chicken to the slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with additional black pepper.
- Step4: Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, until chicken is cooked through and rice has absorbed almost all of the broth. In my slow cooker this took 3 hours on high.
- Step5: When the slow cooking time is almost finished, cook the broccoli. You can steam it on the stove or in the microwave, or roast it in your oven. (It is also possible to cook the broccoli in the slow cooker by adding it on top of the rice and chicken during the last hour of cook time. If you slow cook the broccoli it will lose its vibrant green color. I get best results when I steam the broccoli on the stove.)
- Step6: When chicken and rice are done, remove chicken to a cutting board.
- Step7: Add the plain Greek yogurt (if using), Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese to the rice in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Step8: Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and add to the slow cooker along with the cooked broccoli. Stir and serve.
Keywords: Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
My husband and my kids couldn’t have been more thrilled. They were positively ecstatic when I told them I made a healthy chicken and rice casserole that they would be eating for lunch. Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole. Since it’s summer, you may find your slow cooker is now serving spring meals such as this one. The brown rice makes it a perfect side dish during any number of spring and summer menu choices.
To make sure this delicious meal has the most flavor, you’ll want to season it properly. In this recipe you will need salt, dried garlic powder, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Put the mixture into your slow cooker and stir until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
Use your crock pot to slow-cook your chicken broccoli rice casserole for about two hours. Turn the slow cooker off and wait another twenty-four hours. When you go to check on it, you should see that it’s been thoroughly cooked. When you do remove it from the crock pot, you should notice a thick, rich, and healthy broth. Stir in your dry garlic powder, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and serve with your choice of fresh vegetables as well as crackers. You will be truly delighted by the results.